Saturday 2 June 2018

Hello Summer!


Yesterday was the first day of the Meterological summer, the sun was shining and so to celebrate I took Suzi (my car) out with the roof down and all the windows open so she could pretend to be a cabriolet.  In reality I just headed out to go for some free range eggs from a local farm - the roof and windows were soon closed to try and tame the rather pungent farm odours.  

I was listening to the radio on the way back home and the news reader was telling everyone how we've just had the sunniest and warmest May since records began.  The words were hardly out of his mouth when the heavens opened, I had no jacket with me and from the short distance from car to house I was soaked!


It's been warm and sunny today but while I was taking photos of this week's cards I could hear rumbles of thunder in the background but the rain has stayed away (for now).

When I first looked at this week's Freshly Made Sketches Challenge it made me think of an opened envelope so I began to have a look at what I had that would work.  Originally I was going to have the background as text like a letter but when I couldn't find anything I liked to use to make it decided rather than an envelope I would make a pocket with a decorated tag to put into it.
While having a clear out I found the head of large artificial thistle and it reminded me that I had a couple of stamp sets that I could use in a card to put it to good use in some photos.

The tag was made using the Woodware "Thistle" and Crafty Impressions "Bonny Scotland" set.  I used a section of white ribbon which I partially unravelled to make the fringed pull coloured with the same markers as the image to give the appearance of a thistle.  Another piece of ribbon was unravelled to make a fringed bow.

It was only after I posted my entry into this week's challenge and was looking over what I'd written the following day that I realised what a numpty I had been - I hadn't coloured the thistle properly, too much purple!  This is what happens when you do things when you really ought to be in bed asleep!

This is what it should look like





and not this


I also managed to lose the large thistle head I'd found so had to dig out the Eryngium & Rose posy for the photos instead.












While the sun was shining and because it was the first day of summer I decided to colour the Woodware "Wiggly Stems" set in bright summery colours. Tonic Studios ""Hello from "Folk Heart" Layering Die Set. The background paper came from a magazine "free gift". 






2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful set of cards! I love those thistles! Super colouring! I love your take on the sketch! Fantastic! Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a creative use of the sketch - it is absolutely perfect for an envelope!! And such beautiful bright florals on the next card. (I hope your heavy rains are at least helping your own flowers grow!) Thank you for playing along with us at Freshly Made Sketches.

    ReplyDelete