Friday 12 June 2015

New Toys!

The wind and rain have, at last, subsided and the sun has finally reached the Kingdom of Fife - yipee!!! I always feel better when the sun is shining - my joints certainly appreciate the warmer weather!

When I was have my clearout the other week I came across several jars of embossing powder that I've had for a few years but hardly used as my heat gun stopped working and I never got around to replacing it.  I had some Birthday money left over so decided maybe it was time to get a new one so I bought a Ranger Heat It tool along with some UTEE to try.  The UTEE is Cosmic Shimmer but for some reason this particular colour was rather cheap and classed as an "add on item" on Amazon - I wasn't too bothered about the colour, Lapis Black, I just wanted  get some to try it out.)
My order has now arrived so it was time to play. I found that perhaps why the UTEE was cheap was maybe due to the fact that the Lapis Black ain't black, it's more of a peacock blue/green. Never mind, as long as it works!

I dug out some of the die cuts I'd been making from scrap cardstock on my new Spellbinders Sapphire and set to work on them. I took a Joy! Craft butterfly applied clear embossing ink then sprinkled on the UTEE, once it was melted I sprinkled it with some gold and silver ordinary embossing powder and reheated it before decided to add a little black to it as well. Turned out rather well I thought - think it would make a nice brooch if it had been put on chipboard.

For this week's Freshly Made Sketches Challenge card, (based on sketch below) 
 


 

I decided to use a filligree style butterfly within the oval. Once cut & clear inked I  used black embossing powder, heated it to melting point then added some of the UTEE to give it a little splash of colour.

Once I had my butterfly sorted out I set about looking for what else I could use. I took my Darice Oval embossing folder and embossed some pearlised cardstock which was then trimmed around the scalloped edge to create a topper.

 

I played about with my Promarkers to create a coloured a strip to go down the left hand edge, the nearest colour in my collection which toned with the Lapis Black was "Soft Green".  Originally I thought of making diagonal black and Soft Green stripes but then settled on plain green before deciding that was too plain! To compromise I cut a narrow, tapered, strip from one of the striped pieces I'd made and stick it on a diagonal over the Soft Green one. I finished off by adding a daisy with a coloured (& glittered) centre and a colour co-ordinated "Love" sentiment. I toyed around with making my own version of baker's twine (using kitchen string and Promarkers) but wasn't sure if I liked it so took photos of the card with & without - still not sure which version I prefer!
 
  
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Cardstock:
PayPer Box - Pearlised White
Image - Supersmooth White

Dies:
Spellbinders - Outrageous Butterfly
Spellbinders - Jewel Flowers & Flourishes.
Lawn Fawn - Scripty Love
 
 Inks etc:
Dovecraft - Clear Embossing Pad
Cosmic Shimmer - UTEE Lapis Black
C&C Embossing Powder - Black
Superfine Clear Glitter

Letraset Promarkers - Black & Soft Green

2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I love the iridescent look of the butterfly. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning, stunning, stunning - these colours are just gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at FMS this week!

    ReplyDelete