Sunday 28 June 2015

Embossed Ribbon

Someone asking a question on Facebook earlier about inking onto ribbon left me thinking about how to do that without the ink sinking into the weave. The only thing I could think of was to use a PVA solution (like Modge Podge) to seal and stiffen it first.

I've not tried it but it reminded me of this technique I use to emboss ribbon:
Make up a 50/50 solution of PVA/Water or Mod Podge or other liquid glue that dries clear (I used my Amos clear for this one) put the ribbon in the glue solution till wet through, remove excess and allow to dry and stiffen up (thinking about it now, it  may also be possible that a starch solution/spray starch would also work).



 

 thought I had a photo of a previous effort but couldn't find "one I did earlier" so I decided to make some up using some single sided satin ribbon. 

Once the ribbon was ready I used a Darice border embossing folder (piece of thin card in first with the ribbon  on top of it to give the folder something to "bite" into) and ran it through my Spellbinders Sapphire. I only used the Sapphire because it was sitting out and I couldn't be bothered hauling out my GC for a small piece of ribbon. As Spellbinders don't have a Sapphire equivalent of the "Raspberry" Embossing Plate, the "sandwich" I used for the Sapphire was Cutting Plate C, Embossing (Tan) Mat, Darice folder & topped off with a thin card shim for good measure).

Once I had the piece of embossed ribbon I decided I'd better make something to show it off so here it is on a finished card:






 
 
I used PayPer Box Kraft card which I top folded as an A6 base. The embossed ribbon was wrapped across a piece of trimmed ivory coloured textured cardstock which was used as a layer on top of the Kraft card.

I coloured some pearlised cardstock with a "Sandstone" Promarker to match the ribbon, and used it to make some floral die cuts to create an embellishment.  I also colour matched the Card Candy.

 
 
 
Cardstock:
PayPer Box - Kraft
PayPer Box - Ivory Textured
PayPer Box - White Pearlised
Dies:
Spellbinders - Flowers & Flourishes
Spellbinders - Poppy

Accessories:
Ribbon - Club Green Gold Single Sided Satin
Card Candy - White
Embossing Folder - Darice Border Flourishes
Letraset Promarkers
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment